Tuesday, April 23, 2013

First spaghetti dinner

To introduce myself to the art of cooking dinner my mom offered to teach me how she cooks spaghetti. The first thing I had to do was go to the grocery store to buy ingredients:
1 lb lean ground hamburger
1 lb mild Italian sausage
1 large yellow onion
8 gloves of garlic
2 twenty eight oz cans of Italian tomatoes
1 sixteen oz can of tomato paste
1 lb pasta
Also included are other optional ingredients that my mom already had (salt, pepper, basil, rosemary, oregano, parsley, peppers & mushrooms)



First we started by browning the hamburger and sausage. After they were about half cooked we added the chopped onion. This took about 10 minutes to brown and cook.
Then we drained off most of the grease that had collected.
Next we added the cloves of minced garlic and continued to cook for another 4 minutes.
After we added chopped peppers and mushrooms, followed by the two cans of tomatoes and can of tomato paste, along with about 16 oz of water.
Then I had to stir for a long time (hardest part).
Next my mom added the herbs and spices (salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, basil, and rosemary).
Then we let it simmer for about an hour and a half, during that time we prepared a salad and toasted bread. Occasionally my mom would add more water or seasoning.
Then we boiled the pasta for 10 minutes, drained it, and topped the cooked pasta with the sauce we mad, along with grated Parmesan cheese.


Total time: 2 hours

   

No comments:

Post a Comment